My road to running, and running down the road of distance running.

The Why

| Friday, November 21, 2008
Running is one of those activities where there is no team. Now that may sound selfish, but it's true. Running is not a team sport like baseball, football, or even cycling. It's about you and the road ahead and what you can accomplish with that time.

Whatever the reasons we all run for, we do it for ourselves. We might be running for someone in a 10K, a marathon or a Race For The Cure, but it's each of us who has to do the mileage. Other people might provide inspiration, but it's our bodies that we push and punish, sometimes to the limit.

We might be doing it to get back in shape, to lose weight, to change our lives. They're our own reasons.

Running allows us to accomplish things that we wouldn't be able to accomplish at work, where we're working for someone else, or within our respective families. It's our chance to pursue personal goals, push ourselves for no other reasons other than personal improvement, and to surpass limits that we may not have thought possible.

Now, I'm not an anti-social person, and I don't think runners are that way either. We appreciate the alone time, to think, to get away to recover that time we devote to other things. We aren't running away. We're running towards something that only we can define. Running can define us, and we define our running.

2 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

great post! how are the calves feeling?

hecubus said...

Thanks. :) They're doing better today. It finally got cold enough for me to hit the road with running tights so I don't know if that made the difference today. I re-read the Pose book and I did more pulling with my thighs and calves today instead of just my calves like I had on my previous runs.