My road to running, and running down the road of distance running.

First big run after knee pain

| Monday, November 17, 2008
I had my first long run (6 miles) trying to do my best using the Pose Method and it went better than expected.

First, I went at a pace that was a bit faster than expected (overall 10:39/mile pace) and I went 7 miles instead of 6, mainly because I made a wrong turn and got a wee bit lost during my run.

Running with the Pose Method certainly helped me focus on form, posture and positioning during the run and take my mind off of the distance and the running itself. The miles just fell away before I knew it.

It was one of those gorgeous days for running - it was sunny, but cool enough where I didn't have to worry about over-heating. There was also a slight breeze that just made everything perfect.

I was worried about doing 6 miles as I had hurt my knee doing 8 miles last week, which I think was brought on by my running form deteriorating in the last 2 miles. When I hit the last mile, my arch in my right foot starting feeling really sore but it wasn't bad enough to make me stop. During my cool down, I could still feel my sore arch and I was still concerned about my knee.

I texted my wife to get a couple of ice packs ready and after my shower I iced down my knee and my arch hoping to avoid prolonged soreness. Thankfully, after a couple of hours with the ice packs, everything felt great again so now I'm aware of how my body reacts to icing down.

Tomorrow I start getting back to my regularly-scheduled training runs for a half marathon in 4 weeks' time.

1 comment:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

didn't realize you were blogging! I checked awhile back, and saw an old post, but here you are now! Glad you're doing well with the Pose...neat eh?