My road to running, and running down the road of distance running.

| Monday, November 10, 2008
My first attempt at running this past year didn't last very long. I can't remember what my goal was...it was something like running a mile. As with most first-timers, I started like a flash, and then the pavement caught up to me. I had to take a break just short of the 1 mile mark and subsequently 2 more rests before the 2 mile mark.

I started doing a beginner's running program that started off with walking, walking and more walking. Obviously I was itching to run, but I wanted to follow the program to make sure I was going about everything in the right way. I also start personal training sessions at 24 Hour Fitness with a trainer who has had running experience.

Fast-forward 5 months, and I'm running my first 5K. I'm as nervous as all heck but I made it with my fastest 5K. 2 months later and another 5K with another PR for that distance.

Then, it all goes to pot. We go on vacation and that disrupts my training. I stop training as the getting up at 5am to go running becomes a chore. For about 2 months I stop running. I start up again in September and it feels like I'm starting all over again.

I decide that I need goals to keep myself running. I register for a half-marathon in December. It's quite ambitious, but it has motivated me to stay with my training program and get my butt off the couch.

Fast-forward to now, I run my first 5K since June and I end up with the exact time as my first 5K. Quite symbolic that I indeed am starting all over again with running.

No comments: