My road to running, and running down the road of distance running.

Trotting like a turkey

| Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Today was the first sub-freezing run for me this year. I had a couple of layers on, running tights, gloves and a hat. It didn't feel like I was sweating that much but when I got back home, I was just DRENCHED. The tights felt alright. They're still a bit of an acquired taste but they also add a bit of extra support around my knee which has been feeling kinda wonky lately.

The cold air actually feels great when running since I tend to get warmed up pretty quick and the extra heat that I'm giving off makes a bit difficult to run in when it's warmer. I suppose I ought to move back to Canada if I want to have more cold days than warm! :)

Today was also my last run day before my 5K on Thursday at the Chesterfield Turkey Trot near St. Louis, MO. We knew awhile back we were going to be in St. Louis for Thanksgiving and I was going to miss out on similar events going on in the DFW area, so I went searching for any similar turkey trots going on in St. Louis. There weren't that many, but the one in Chesterfield isn't too far away and it's early enough that it's not going to disrupt any Thanksgiving activities.

So I have my running gear packed for a couple of runs while away. I'm doing one less run for the week so that I can accommodate a 5K event and a long run on Saturday. It ought to be significantly colder in St. Louis than in Dallas so I'm anticipating that's going to work to my benefit.

The 5K will be my last event before the culmination of the past year of running: The Dallas White Rock Half Marathon in mid-December. I'm weary of doing too much during the 5K and pushing too hard for the event because I don't want to injure myself before the half-marathon. After next week, I'll be tapering, so it's going to be difficult for me to keep my runs under control as well....I'm just way too competitive for my own good sometimes.

1 comment:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Safe travels, and good luck with the 5k! Looking forward to the race report :)