My road to running, and running down the road of distance running.

Holy Cramp!

| Thursday, November 20, 2008
Oh cramp.

Well, it was close to a leg cramp yesterday. My training using the Pose Method uses more of my calf muscles than I had used them before...so either I'm not using the Pose Method correctly or I just need to work out my calves more.

I was supposed to run 12 min intervals with 100 second breaks in between, which I did, but not without great difficulty. My calves were tight that morning and it was quite chilly but not cold enough to pull on the running tights. I did ample stretching and loosened up as much as I could and I started out on my run. By the time I had completed my 2nd interval, I had contemplated calling my wife to come pick me up because my left calf was just REALLY sore. It felt like a cantaloupe in my leg!

It became one of those moments where you either decide to call it quits for the day or you tough it out. I don't usually quote Lance Armstrong that often, and this may be a paraphrase, but it summed up what I was thinking: "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever." I had stopped in the middle of runs before and regretted doing it.

This time I toughed it out the remaining intervals and I'm glad I did. By the time the 4th interval came around (albeit at a slower pace), the soreness had either worked itself out, or I couldn't feel it any longer.

2 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

great quote.. i've searched forums on the Pose about calf pain, and most talk about it, and seems to last for about a month, so I'd imagine you're probably doing it right! Sucks that it hurt that bad though!

hecubus said...

LOL, well it's good to know that I'm doing it right. I'm reading and re-reading the book to make sure I'm not missing any hints or descriptions that I missed the first time.