My road to running, and running down the road of distance running.

Two streaks broken

| Wednesday, December 10, 2008
So I had 2 running-related streaks broken this past week - one acceptable, one not-so good.

First off, after about 3 consecutive months of diligently following my half-marathon training plan down to specific days and specific mileage, I skipped a training run Tuesday morning. It was going to be a simple 3-mile run but my daughter stayed up late the night before, which in turn, kept both myself and my wife up. I just was in no condition to do any running at O-dark-hundred in the morning. I suppose it's okay since I'm in my taper period of the training schedule with the half-marathon happening this coming Sunday.

Second, after about 3 consecutive months of being injury-free, with only 4 days before my half-marathon, I suffered my first injury during my 4-mile training run this morning. It was pretty-darn cold this morning (-3 Celsius with wind chill) so I bundled up accordingly and headed up.

About a mile into the run, I felt this twinge in my right calf. Before I knew it, it felt like my calf had tightened up and felt like there was this huge knot in my leg. I stopped and tried to massage it out but it was SO sore. I was able to run but not put a whole lot of weight on it. I tried jogging it out and it was tolerable. After about another half-mile, it felt a bit better but at that point I was trying to put it out of my mind.

I finished the 4-mile run and tried to ice it down. It hasn't improved much since then. I do notice that just keeping it immobile makes it feel a bit better, so I may have to abandon my last taper run before the half-marathon so that my calf can recover in time for the big day on Sunday.

3 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

yikes! rest, ice, compression, elevation - RICE! You're so close to your HM... keeping my fingers crossed that it's nothing major and you'll be running this weekend!

hecubus said...

I just so happened to order a calf compression sleeve for my left calf. It had been sore on-and-off and I was planning on using it for the HM.

Well, it just arrived this morning and I slipped it on my injured right calf and it's been feeling a bit better since then.

Good timing on the delivery of that sleeve!

I'm definitely skipping the last training run, though I might just put some walking miles in just to loosen it up.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

good luck with your half tomorrow!