My road to running, and running down the road of distance running.

Not in a hurry...

| Sunday, December 28, 2008
Getting to 400 miles for the year has been fairly difficult, not so much from a physical standpoint, but more of a mental and motivational standpoint.

I guess it's hard for me to actually get motivated to run right now with the distraction of the holidays and me not really training for anything in the coming weeks or months.

Right now I'm only 4 miles short of getting to 400 miles and it's something that I know I can do in a single run, which actually makes it less challenging since it's going to be so easy. I know, I know, I should just go out and just do it. This afternoon should be a fairly nice day so I might just go out and knock it out.

At the beginning of the year, Christine set a goal for us to run a collective 500 miles for the year, which I thought was definitely doable. That's like 3/4 of a mile a day. Little did I know that I would end up running 80% of that by myself! It's crazy now that I look back on it, but the motivation of training for a half marathon was really the catalyst for a lot of those miles.

I'm one of those people that needs that extra competitive reason to get things going, at least for right now. Having that training schedule helped and understanding that the schedule was necessary for helping me run a half marathon made the mileage more meaningful.

Right now I'm looking at some events for the early new year, some 5Ks and 10Ks further out. I'm definitely thinking of running a marathon later in the year and a half marathon thrown in their somewhere. But I'm somewhat content with getting through this year and then starting next year with a renewed effort.

1 comment:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

it's always busy this time of year... and motivation sways a bit. You'll totally reach your goal... get 'er done! :)