My road to running, and running down the road of distance running.

2009 Goals and the Marathon Dilemma

| Saturday, December 20, 2008
After hitting almost all my modest goals for the 2008, I'm approaching 2009 with some more aggressive goals. The main goal is a marathon, which I'll get to.

I'm planning to do more 10Ks (i actually didn't do any this year) and possibly a half marathon. I did a few 5Ks this year which were fun but I'm hoping to do some longer distance events next year, not so much to actually win them, but to do some events at the intermediate and longer distances.

I'm pretty confident I can get a PR at the 5K distance since my 5K times have been gradually improving so it's not out of reach. As much as that's a nice accomplishment I do want to do a marathon. My half marathon this year was such a great time and I had quite a sense of accomplishment afterwards, but I want to experience running a marathon.

Actually one of the goals this year for both Christine and I was to do the Walt Disney World Marathon in January, but that pretty much went out the window when we discovered we had a baby on the way that was due in February! :) Theoretically I could have still done it, but Christine wouldn't have been able to travel. I was hoping to be able to do a marathon this year, but because of all our adjusted plans, there wasn't enough time for me to properly train for one so that's been tabled 'til '09.

Which leads me to....what marathon do I want to run for my first marathon? I am pretty much contemplating 2 possible choices: one would be the Chicago Marathon. Chicago is a fairly flat course so a decent time *is* possible. There is a fair amount of prestige with the Chicago Marathon as well as it's one of the World Marathon Major events. My other option would be to run one of the two marathons in my hometown of Toronto. One of the events in Toronto is the Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon in late-September which is a run up and down Lakeshore Blvd., which has the advantage of being fairly flat. The other event is the GoodLife Toronto Marathon in mid-October (around the same time as Chicago) that has part of the course goes along Yonge St., including the deadly climb just past York Mills Rd. I've rollerbladed up that hill and it's something to behold. Anyway, I think be able to run down Yonge St. would be an awesome experience but this course would be nowhere near flat.

Given that timing for all three events are within a similar timeframe, I could train starting in April and pretty much be ready for any of them, it's just what is really going to be a priority for me as far as what marathon do I want to be my first. As convenient as it would be, the Dallas White Rock Marathon would be another option, but it would have the same meaning. You'd think I was losing my virginity or something! :) Well, in a way, I am losing my marathon virginity...so the fact that it's my first, and I want it to have some significance, means that it's going to be a tough decision.

Oh yes, today was my first recovery run since my half marathon. I would have run earlier, but I was also fighting a cold and today was the first day my sinuses didn't feel like they were filled with cement. It was a quick 2-miler and everything felt fine. All parts were working without problems.

Also I'm 9 miles away from hitting 400 miles for the year. It's going to be about a mile a day, so I think I can do a few 2-mile runs every other day until the end of the year to hit that mark. If today's run is any indication, my body seems up for the task to finish up the year strong.

1 comment:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I love the Sporting Life 10k as running down Yonge St is pretty cool, and it starts after the hill! LOL